Ghost in the machine ? : .la file(s) getting emptied

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Fri May 4 05:30:26 PDT 2012

 I'm just trying to upgrade a package on my LFS-7.1 system, and a
compile failed because /usr/lib64/libstdc++.la was not a valid
libtool archive.  Too right - it was empty!  Looking at ls -l it was
updated on 30th April (original install was on 8th April).

 Fortunately, my oldest backup was before that and I was able to
restore it.  But I'm sure I've seen something similar, perhaps even
the same file, in the past few months (not necessarily on this
particular system).  Looking at other updates, nothing (apart from
kernel upgrades) since 28th April until today.

 Anyone seen anything like this ?

ĸen