Ghost in the machine ? : .la file(s) getting emptied

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Fri May 4 08:19:54 PDT 2012

On Fri, May 04, 2012 at 03:14:17PM +0100, Andrew Benton wrote:

> No, sorry. Could it be a hardware problem/bad disk sector? Have you run
> fsck? The other possibility is some sort of scripting error/bad sed but
> that's just speculation.
>
> Andy

 The scripting error, or a bad sed during a build of something
unrelated (possibly, kbd-1.15.3 during testing), seem most likely.
But it's a weird day -

 I'm trying to upgrade to gimp-2.8.0 on my 7.1 system where the
toolkit packages are a bit old.  It told me I needed gtk+-2.24.10.
I _tested_ that would build without updating anything else - fine -
so tried it for real and got a compile error in gtkiconview.c,
GClassFinalizeFunc undeclared.  Might be a race with make -j3 (I
managed to install it at the second attempt), but if so it's a very
strange result, and I've previously built it with make -j{3,4} on at
least three occasions.

 Oh, and now I need the newer gdk-pixbuf too.  Time to look at the
configure script to see what else is too old.   Feels like I must
have accidentally upset Her Noodliness :-(

ĸen