Why not GNU/Linux From Scratch

David Shaw dj.shaw at btconnect.com
Tue May 8 04:29:03 PDT 2012

On 08/05/12 11:10, Armin K. wrote:
> Today I got an interesting question on LFS IRC:
>
> <stallman mode="on">
> Why LFS is called LFS and not GLFS (GNU/Linux From Scratch)
> </stallman>
>
> What do you think?

This is an argument that I'm starting to get a little tired of hearing,
partly because it is so utterly pointless and partly because it will,
unfortunately, *never* be resolved.

While it is true that what is known as Linux is actually the Linux
kernel plus the GNU toolset, the GNU toolset is not exclusive to Linux
and can be used in a large variety of operating systems - including Windows.

Therefore, to my mind, at least, calling it GNU/Linux is not only
cumbersome but innaccurate.  What makes Linux distinctively Linux and
not Windows or MacOS or Solaris or BSD or ReactOS or... well, you get
the idea, is its kernel, not all the extra bits that are bolted on to it
to make it into a complete OS.

However, having said that, Linux is all about choice and if other people
choose to call it GNU/Linux, that's fine by me - provided that they, in
turn, respect *my* choice not to.

David Shaw