[lfs-chat] Towards a "minimalist newtork"

Gordon Findlay gordon.findlay at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 14:21:38 PST 2017

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 11:01 AM, Richard Owlett <rowlett at cloud85.net>
wrote:

> On 1/22/2017 2:36 PM, Andrew Elian wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 08:31:22AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
>>
>>> My definition of a "minimalist network" is exclusively an enumeration of
>>> what physical components. In my case that is two laptops with
>>> electrically
>>> compatible Ethernet hardware and one Cat6 patch. *NO*
>>> routers/etc/etc/... .
>>>
>>>  From my reading, primarily Wikipedia, I believe what I'm aiming at
>>> would be
>>> classed as either PPPoE or PPPoEoE. Although a Debian Jessie user I have
>>> found some LFS documentation very helpful due its point of view.
>>>
>>> With that in mind, I am currently reading
>>> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable-systemd/ (Jessie uses
>>> systemd} and I am searching archives at https://www.google.com/search?
>>> q=ethernet+site:linuxfromscratch.org&domains=linuxfromscratch.org
>>> .
>>>
>>> Any further reading suggestions?
>>> TIA
>>>

>> Try using a network crossover cable between the two computers. Then set
>> one computer up as a server (running DHCP) and the other as a client.
>>
>> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Home-Network-mini-HOWTO.html
>>
>> The HOWTO is a little dated (like my hardware), but the approach is
>> valid.  Some translation into modern software tools is required.
>>
>> Best of luck!
>> andrew
>>

> Thank you.
> I have a Lenovo T43 and a T430 each supporting Ethernet, Fast Ethernet,
> and  Gigabit Ethernet. I've been told that a crossover cable would not be
> required as it would be with older hardware.
>
> I browsed the link briefly. If it doesn't solve my problem itself it
> appears that it will get me asking the "right" questions. The "right"
> questions lead to useful questions;/

If there are only  two computers, setting up one up as a DHCP server for
the single client sounds like overkill. No internet connection means you
can do as you please.

Just put a cable between them and  give them two private IP numbers on the
same network.

The private IP ranges are detailed at
http://www.omnisecu.com/tcpip/what-are-private-ip-addresses.php and many
thousands of other sites.