unable to open an initial console

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Aug 3 19:30:44 PDT 2000

> Thanks, didn't think to check that. For some reason the /dev directory was
> empty. I fixed that and I was able to boot and login on my celeron which I use
> to make the lfs system, but then I transfered the hard drive to my 486 and when
> I login it says "login[12]: Unable to change tty /dev/tty1: Illegal seek". Any
> idea why? I compiled everything for an i486 so it must be something else

that means your mountfs script didn't run properly.

you can't just transfer stuff from a pentium to a 486. Are you sure that
each and every program was compiled for a 486 and wasn't compiling using
the pentium optimizations? I'd say run the mountfs script manually from
the 486 and see if it complains about segmentation faults and such
errors. If so, you have to re-compile the affected packages that
contain those programs.

www.linuxfromscratch.org