LFS-BOOK-2.3.7 released

John Phillips lfs at linux.demon.co.uk
Sat Aug 5 00:50:34 PDT 2000

Gerard Beekmans wrote

> LFS-BOOK-2.3.7 has been released ...

LFS-BOOK-2.3.7 is excellent.  There are just a few bugs I had to deal
with:

console-tools & console-data packages
-------------------------------------
The defkeymap.kmap.gz link must be made after console-data, not after
console-tools.

fileutils package
-----------------
The /usr/bin/install link must be made by fileutils (chroot).  At present
it's only made by fileutils (static).

Note that, although the fix is effective, I think it is wrong to fix
the file system instead of fixing the sysklogd package.

gcc optimisations
-----------------
I had to move gcc optimisations to later in the build, for only
the chroot'd phase.  This is because the static build phase uses my
hosts's compiler which is earlier than gcc-2.95.2, and valid compiler
optimisations are different.

ncurses package
---------------
Static "curses" library links are announced in the changelog but are
not done.

chroot
------
You may need to "cd $LFS" before doing chroot, just in case the current
working directory is not under the new root.

Typos
-----
- Some file sizes in chapter 3 are still in bytes, not KB: tar, man,
  lilo and man-pages.

- bzip2 (static): there's a "bzip2-1.0.0" directory name (should be
  "bzip2-1.0.1").

John Phillips           john at linux.demon.co.uk