LFS-BOOK-2.3.7 released

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Aug 5 06:46:39 PDT 2000

> LFS-BOOK-2.3.7 is excellent.  There are just a few bugs I had to deal
> with:
>
> console-tools & console-data packages
> -------------------------------------
> The defkeymap.kmap.gz link must be made after console-data, not after
> console-tools.

Ok I'll move it.

> fileutils package
> -----------------
> The /usr/bin/install link must be made by fileutils (chroot).  At present
> it's only made by fileutils (static).
>
> Note that, although the fix is effective, I think it is wrong to fix
> the file system instead of fixing the sysklogd package.

True, but it's not just sysklogd. there are more of those packages and
the FHS does not explicitly mention that install must be in /bin, but we
have discussed these things before and the general concensus is that we
all agree that all the programs from the fileutils packages best fit in
/bin and not just a couple of them. So that means the /usr/bin/install
link should be created. True you can fix sysklogd and other packages,
but I don't think it's that big a deal.

> gcc optimisations
> -----------------
> I had to move gcc optimisations to later in the build, for only
> the chroot'd phase.  This is because the static build phase uses my
> hosts's compiler which is earlier than gcc-2.95.2, and valid compiler
> optimisations are different.

I see. True optimization in static programs is a waste of time since
it's going to be reinstalled anyways and not used for all that long.
I'll see if moving the optimization part easily be moved to after
chroot.

> ncurses package
> ---------------
> Static "curses" library links are announced in the changelog but are
> not done.

I forgot to remove that from the changelog. Upon further examination I
have seen that the ncurses package does create the /lib/libcurses*
symlinks that point to their respective /lib/libncurses* files. So if
somebody does not have a link, they should take a closer look at ncurses
and try to see what went wrong so ncurses can be fixed.

> chroot
> ------
> You may need to "cd $LFS" before doing chroot, just in case the current
> working directory is not under the new root.

Not necesarry here. Perhaps you run an older chroot version? If so, let
me know so I can modify it.

gerard:~$ su
Password:
root:/home/gerard# pwd
/home/gerard
root:/home/gerard# chroot $LFS bash --login
root:/# pwd
/
root:/#

> Typos
> -----
> - Some file sizes in chapter 3 are still in bytes, not KB: tar, man,
>   lilo and man-pages.

Thansk.

> - bzip2 (static): there's a "bzip2-1.0.0" directory name (should be
>   "bzip2-1.0.1").

Ok, fixed too.

www.linuxfromscratch.org