LFS-BOOK-2.3.7 released

John Phillips lfs at linux.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 6 03:04:28 PDT 2000

Gerard Beekmans wrote

>> chroot
>> ------
>> You may need to "cd $LFS" before doing chroot, just in case the current
>> working directory is not under the new root.
>
> Not necesarry here. Perhaps you run an older chroot version? If so, let
> me know so I can modify it.

Yes, my host's chroot is quite old.  Clearly, this is another thing I
have to add to my short list of host-specific fixes needed to build LFS
from Debian 2.1r5:

    linux:~# chroot --version
    chroot (GNU sh-utils) 1.16

It certainly complains about not starting under the new root (although
if you cd again this gets fixed):

    linux:~# cd /root
    linux:~# chroot /mnt/lfs bash --login
    shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access
    parent directories: No such file or directory
    sh_makepath: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access
    parent directories: No such file or directory

Probably Debian 2.1 is the most severe test for LFS because Debian's
long stable release schedule means that it is likely to be the oldest
"current" distribution that might be used.

John Phillips           john at linux.demon.co.uk