LFS in linuxtoday.com

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Sun Aug 6 04:44:15 PDT 2000

Yo,

On Sun, 6 Aug 2000, Tim wrote:
> That badly spelled post is mine, after I ran into a block I couldn't get
> around.  I've been assuming that it's a simple thing so I've kept my
> mouth shut trying not to seem stupider than I am, hoping someone else
> will cover it... but I can't even find it in the archives, so I might as
> well bite the bullet and spill it.

Don't bang your head agaisnt a problem too long, it's better to ask
around either on #LFS or here .. Sharing knowledge is what this is all
about

> >From the very first package installation I've gotten "Permission denied"
> errors trying to run ./configure.  Switch to root and same thing.
> Permissions shouldn't matter when run as root, right?

hrm... it would be a good idea to post the error, and be a little
verbose...

> I've gotten around that by unpacking the sources into my root partition
> and building them there, but I didn't want to do that for the kernel as
> I'm still running 2.2.13.  (No reason... I just never upgraded, never
> felt the need to.)
>
> Well, 'make depmod' ended with 'Permission denied.'  And I stopped there
> and decided I had to deal with the real problem, why I can't even run
> configure on packages on a mounted partition.
>
> Here's my lfs fstab line:
>
> /dev/hda3      /mnt/lfs   ext2    noauto,user  0 0
>
> It's a 4 gig partition entirely below the 1024 cylinder barrier
> (shouldn't matter).  After I first got the error I've always mounted it
> as root and did all the steps as root.
>
> I'm starting from a Slackware 7.0 distro with some upgrades (should be
> unimportant.)

I've done LFS on Slack 7.x and had no problems, as long as the devel
packages are installed of course.

-