LFS in linuxtoday.com

dreamwvr dreamwvr at dreamwvr.com
Sun Aug 6 09:16:25 PDT 2000

hi,
> Don't bang your head agaisnt a problem too long, it's better to ask
> around either on #LFS or here .. Sharing knowledge is what this is all
> about
my sentiments exactly!
> > >From the very first package installation I've gotten "Permission denied"
> > errors trying to run ./configure.  Switch to root and same thing.
> > Permissions shouldn't matter when run as root, right?
>
> hrm... it would be a good idea to post the error, and be a little
> verbose...
>
> > I've gotten around that by unpacking the sources into my root partition
> > and building them there, but I didn't want to do that for the kernel as
> > I'm still running 2.2.13.  (No reason... I just never upgraded, never
> > felt the need to.)
> >
> > Well, 'make depmod' ended with 'Permission denied.'  And I stopped there
> > and decided I had to deal with the real problem, why I can't even run
> > configure on packages on a mounted partition.
> >
> > Here's my lfs fstab line:
> >
> > /dev/hda3      /mnt/lfs   ext2    noauto,user  0 0
> >
> > It's a 4 gig partition entirely below the 1024 cylinder barrier
> > (shouldn't matter).  After I first got the error I've always mounted it
> > as root and did all the steps as root.
> >
> > I'm starting from a Slackware 7.0 distro with some upgrades (should be
> > unimportant.)
>
> I've done LFS on Slack 7.x and had no problems, as long as the devel
> packages are installed of course.
>
> -

Reuters, London, February 29, 1998:
Scientists have announced discovering a meteorite which will strike the
earth in March, 2028.  Millions of UNIX coders expressed relief for being
spared the UNIX epoch "crisis" of 2038.

************** DREAMWVR.COM - TOTAL INTERNET SERVICES ****************
  TOTAL DESIGN - DEVELOPMENT - INTEGRATION - SECURITY - Click Here..
           <http://www.dreamwvr.com/services/MAX_SEC.html>;
   DREAMWVR.COM - The Console of Many... 90 Topics Covered
<http://www.dreamwvr.com/dynamicduo.html>;
<mailto:dreamwvr at dreamwvr.com>;
->> LINUX Solution Provider and North American Distributor<<-
 "===0 PGP Key Available
*************** "As Unique as the Company You Keep."*****************
    "If anyone speaks from DREAMWVR.COM its certainly not me:-)"