LFS in linuxtoday.com

Erika Pacholleck Pacholleck.E at gmx.de
Sun Aug 6 11:19:26 PDT 2000

( Son, 06 Aug 2000 ) Panos Maheras <-- :
> "The only distribution tougher than Slackware...
> ...is the one you build yourself, like http://www.linuxfromscratch.org ... it
> can be BRUTAL! (BTW, it's a lot tougher than they make it sound, sign up to the
> mailing lists and visit the irc server if you do try the linux from scratch
> approach)"

Slackware : this was my very first one when I had still my small computer
judged = very easy, no problems at all

DLD : this was my second one I got for the bigger computer
judged = very easy, no problems at all

Debian : onto another partition of the bigger one
judged = forget, crashed whenever I tried to get X working

Suse earlier: onto another partition of the bigger one
judged = forget, overwriting the DLD partition, no workaround
Suse 6.4: onto a new 20 G hd
judged = 1 G / (without usr,boot,home) not enough, but installed at least

Mandrake 7.1 : onto another partition of the new 20 G
judged = forget, to many mistakes configuring standard hardware

RH 6.2 : onto another partition of new 20 G hd
judged = forget, problems reading the partition table, message: no space !!

LFS : onto (first here, then there)
judged = all standards included, unneccessary aborted, just how I want it

Fazit : LFS is just a bit more to think when installing than Slack and DLD.
For people who are not used to THINK before they work this might really
be BRUTAL !

Erika