LFS in linuxtoday.com

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Aug 6 14:43:33 PDT 2000

> Well, 'make depmod' ended with 'Permission denied.'  And I stopped there
> and decided I had to deal with the real problem, why I can't even run
> configure on packages on a mounted partition.

It probably chokes on the #!/bin/sh line.

1) /bin/sh does not point to a valid shell (ie: you made a typo while
creating the symlink)

2) although I've never actually seen it, it seems that the #! option can
be turned off.

if /bin/sh exists and points to a valid shell, try this:
edit the configure script and remove the #!/bin/sh line (it's the first
line) then try to execute it. If that helps, than it's the shell not
liking the #!/bin/sh line for some reason and you better start reading
the man page for your specific shell to find a solution, or tell us
which shell you use so we can give a solution or two.

www.linuxfromscratch.org