binutils compile error

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Aug 6 18:05:12 PDT 2000

> I've got 64 megs of ram, plus 64 megs of swap, which judging by one of the
> earlier threads on here should be plenty.  Also, It's compiled on this
> computer just fine before (I've done it about 5 times).

To see if you are really going low on memory do this:
start compiling binutils and in a second terminal (either a VC (Virtual
Console) or xterm or something similar) run this command:
	watch -n 1 free

This will update your memory/swap status every second. If you do this in
X you can see both screens at the same time and determine if at the
point where the compilation aborts you are actually out of memory and
swap. Then you might want to create a second swap partition and enable
it.

www.linuxfromscratch.org