/dev/null - permission denied - solved

Erika Pacholleck Pacholleck.E at gmx.de
Sun Aug 6 23:40:37 PDT 2000

just to make one of the problems I had complete with the solution:

problem was:
when chroot to $LFS all compiling using /dev/null would fail
because I got /dev/null permission denied.
test for that: echo "test" > /dev/null

solved:
1. set /dev/null to (mode 666) root.root
2. leave $LFS
3. chroot again to $LFS

what was the difference:
Original /dev/null was mode 666 root.sys, this is a group we do not have (yet).
Chgrp and test again right afterwards still resulted in permission denied, never
understood why. But when leaving $LFS environment and enter it again, the
test succeeded. My mistake was, not to leave and re-enter.

Erika