Chapter 7, 'Creating the /etc/init.d/ethnet script'

Greg T Hill greghill at terranova.net
Mon Aug 7 11:03:12 PDT 2000

> .  Anyways, running the "route add ..." line was the only
> thing standing between my computer and the net.
>
>    John

Same here.  I just got a good deal on an athlon & MB,  and as I was rebuilding my
server,  I realized my modem was ISA and all my slots were PCI.  I hooked my
phone line up to anther box with a builtin modem, and tried to decipher my old
Caldera scripts to add the gateway, to no avail.  Ended up adding a /sbin/route
line to ethnet in  an if statement to make it do nothing if there's no gateway
defined.