Chapter 7, 'Creating the /etc/init.d/ethnet script'

John Crawford lostdog at drizzle.com
Mon Aug 7 12:02:15 PDT 2000

Since this was brought up due to my situation, I'll chime in here.  When I
finished all the setup in the LFS 2.3.7 book, I was able to ping my
windows box which has the same IP, except the last section.  When I tried
to ping LFS box from another system outside the 216.162.199.x range, I was
unable to do so, and vice versa.

It wasn't until I searched for help on #LFS that I found out about adding
a gateway.  After I entered the appropriate "route" command, everything
was working fine again.

I have DSL coming into the DSL modem/router and that goes into a hub.  my
win and linux boxes are plugged directly into the hub, and each have
unique IP addresses.

   John