gpm --> was RE: Chapter 7, 'Creating the /etc/init.d/ethnetscript'

Serguei Ostrovskii sostrovs at kns.com
Mon Aug 7 13:01:05 PDT 2000

"Craig M. Reece" wrote:

> The basic trick with gpm is that it wants TeX installed to create the
> documentation which is really silly since the man pages and info files are
> already there. I editted the Makefile to remove the doc directory and that
> got rid of the errors, of course I had to manually install the man pages
> etc... (thus the need for a written hint :)
>
> > -----Original Message----- From: owner-lfs-discuss at pcrdallas.com

That's right. However I installed teTeX first, which is an useful thing
itself. Most of the worthwhile docs are in texi format,
and you want to convert to .dvi, then to .ps, view in X, print on PostScript
printer ...
About gpm it is just the beginning of the story. I hoped that ncurses-based
programs ( e.g. make menuconfig )
will react on events that gpm fires. Ncurses ./configure has the option
especially for that : --with-gpm.
And I've rebuilt ncurses with this option after installing gpm.However,
nothing expected did happen.
Any experience ? Ideas ?
BTW, I can advice just the GREAT tool - Midnight Commander.
Sergey Ostrovsky