Chapter 7, 'Creating the /etc/init.d/ethnet script'

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Mon Aug 7 15:59:55 PDT 2000

Yo,

> Same here.  I just got a good deal on an athlon & MB,  and as I was rebuilding my
> server,  I realized my modem was ISA and all my slots were PCI.  I hooked my
> phone line up to anther box with a builtin modem, and tried to decipher my old
> Caldera scripts to add the gateway, to no avail.  Ended up adding a /sbin/route
> line to ethnet in  an if statement to make it do nothing if there's no gateway
> defined.

Good idea, using an if statement would be an excellent choice here.

PPP has nothing todo with this, no? ethnet is for your network card(or
general Ethernet?). I would prefer to have ppp run as it's own script, but
either way LFS doesn't cover that anymore.

The only reason i brough this up is i don't know that many places where
your _not_ going to have a gateway.

And don't get me started on PPPoE...

-