Chapter 7, 'Creating the /etc/init.d/ethnet script'

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Aug 7 17:04:28 PDT 2000

> windows box which has the same IP, except the last section.  When I tried
> to ping LFS box from another system outside the 216.162.199.x range, I was
> unable to do so, and vice versa.

That makes sense yes. If you're out of your own network (define the
network with the netmask option which in your case is probaly set to
216.162.199.0) you need to setup a gateway through which other networks
can be reached. I still don't think it's part of the LFS book but I can
at least add a note about it.

Or I can just add a note that the reader should read the Linux Network
Admin Guide when you have network problems. If I give a solution to a
problem that involves a gateway then I have to give other solutions as
well that involve other issues.

www.linuxfromscratch.org