m4 and autoconf

Dennis J Perkins dperkins2 at uswest.net
Mon Aug 7 19:29:54 PDT 2000

I had problems earlier trying to compile autoconf when m4 was compiled
dynamically, so I was stuck with a static version.  I finally started
playing around with it again and I have made the following observations:

1.  My main system is Debian.  I am compiling m4 after I have chrooted
to $LFS.

2.  When I compile m4 dynamically, I get a message that 'sigstack' is
dangerous and that 'sigaltstack' should be used instead.  I do not get
any error messages.

3. "make check" generates a lot of error messages.

4. If I boot into LFS, I can successfully compile m4 and autoconf
dynamically.

I suspect that I am using Debian's glibc 2.0 when I am chrooted to LFS.
If only a few of us are running Debian, maybe this is why most persons
are not encountering this problem.

--
  Dennis