m4 and autoconf

Panos Maheras arcana at hol.gr
Tue Aug 8 02:22:11 PDT 2000

On Mon, 07 Aug 2000 20:29:54 -0600, you wrote:

>I had problems earlier trying to compile autoconf when m4 was compiled
>dynamically, so I was stuck with a static version.  I finally started
>playing around with it again and I have made the following observations:
>
>1.  My main system is Debian.  I am compiling m4 after I have chrooted
>to $LFS.
>
>2.  When I compile m4 dynamically, I get a message that 'sigstack' is
>dangerous and that 'sigaltstack' should be used instead.  I do not get
>any error messages.
>
>3. "make check" generates a lot of error messages.
>
>4. If I boot into LFS, I can successfully compile m4 and autoconf
>dynamically.
>
>I suspect that I am using Debian's glibc 2.0 when I am chrooted to LFS.
>If only a few of us are running Debian, maybe this is why most persons
>are not encountering this problem.

This is a well known problem with Debian reported at least by two others
(including me). The *only* way to get around it is (as you mentioned): compile
statically before chroot and compile dynamically again *after* you reboot into
LFS. This is for m4 only. If you follow this procedure there is no problem with
autoconf whatsoever (since it can find the "proper" m4 and compile).

Panos Maheras.