AMD K6-2s and the -mcpu=xxx switch.

Tim stcroixt at softhome.net
Tue Aug 8 14:07:36 PDT 2000

I just saw this in the Mozilla M17 discussion on Slashdot:

by Chris Burke (wyrm at engin.stupidspammersgettingsmarter.umich.edu) on
Tuesday August 08, @10:08AM EST

The designation "i686" refers to the Pentium Pro, which was dubbed the
"P6" prior to its release (and it should have been called that, since it
is a completely difference core than the Pentium... but I digress), not
the PII. Anyway, any processor made after the PPro will run the mozilla
binaries, and that includes your K6-2. And I think saving the masochist
who wants to run mozilla on a 486 from himself is a noble goal unto
itself. ;) Posted using Mozilla M-17 on a K6-2 300, so there. :P

So, can we K6-2 owners use -mcpu=i686 -march=i686 ??  After spending a 3
day weekend on LFS I need a break, so I'm not going to try it right
away, if no one has tried it before I do I'll let you all know how it
went.

Tim