Thoughts to 2.3.7

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Aug 8 16:18:47 PDT 2000

> (and some smaller ones):

You again? ;o)

> Installing GCC on the LFS system:
> "Replace <host> with the..."
>
> What about putting this paragraph in front of the commands? (me
> keeps cutnpasting <host> and wondering why it does not work :))

Agreed. Will do the same with mentioning patches before compiling as you
mention later on.

> Installation of MAKEDEV
> Is the sed really necessary?

Not really, but if you ever get more than 8 partitions on a disk and
wonder why mount isn't mounting them it might take a while before you
figure it out. I'll add a note about it.

> Installing findutils:
> making all in locate
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/findutils-4.1/locate'
> gcc -c -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.. -I../lib -DLOCATE_DB=\"/usr/var/locatedb\"
> -O3 -mcpu=i686 -march=i686 ../find/version.c
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `../lib/libfind.a', needed by
> `locate'.  Stop.

Apply the patch that's mentioned.

> Installing libtool: (and others)
> Perhaps it is not necessary, but some packages complain about a missing
> ldconfig...

Harmless, same for the strip error on bin86 and other ldconfig
instances. Since the files go in /usr/lib ldconfig isn't really needed.
The dynamic linker looks in /usr/lib regardless.

> Installing tar:
> While I tried to untar the next package I got an error:
> bash: /usr/bin/tar: No such file or directory
> Perhaps we have to do a "hash -r" after moving

When you did a static tar installation you should have moved the
$LFS/usr/bin/tar file to $LFS/bin/

> Installing Man-pages:
> "make" will move the pages from this package that are older than
> the already installed ones to a subdirectory `not_installed',
> then remove old versions (compressed or not),
> compress the pages, and copy them to /usr/man/man[1-8].
> (from README)

What if your date is wrong by accident? it'll overwrite the files
nicely. I rather copy them manually to make sure things don't get
overwritten.

> Configuring Lilo:
> Do a "grep image /etc/lilo.conf" to see all needed images.

Adding that one too.

> Configuring Shadow Password Suite:
> "support, that programs that" -> "the programs that"
> The howto contains wrong information (after/in chapter 5.4)
> pwconf is pwconv, root-homedir is ~/, pwconf does not create npasswd,
> but passwd-...

passwd- is a backup of passed after it's converted to shadow format.
Same happens when you do grpconv (you'll end up with a group- file which
is a backup of the original group file before conversion)

www.linuxfromscratch.org