AMD K6-2s and the -mcpu=xxx switch.

Jason Gurtz flare at downcity.net
Tue Aug 8 17:19:53 PDT 2000

> > So, can we K6-2 owners use -mcpu=i686 -march=i686 ??  After spending a 3
> > day weekend on LFS I need a break, so I'm not going to try it right
> > away, if no one has tried it before I do I'll let you all know how it
> > went.
>
> Yes I believe everbody does it that way and it seems to work just fine.

If the above is true I'd really wonder exactly how much PPro optimization
gcc applies as the *entire* K6 line is definitly not a 6th generation
processor but a 5th.  There's an easy way to prove this as well:  Get a hold
of an Intel pentium 233MMX and any K6.  Now run most any benchmark you want
making sure that that you clock each processor at the _same_ frequency  i.e.
233 MHZ @ 66MHZ Front Side Bus.

Spoiler:  The Intel chip will win at least 95% of the time, this with your
K6 having twice the amount of L1 cache

At any rate I'd really be interested in how successfull you are and a good
project would also be to benchmark the difference between binaries compiles
i586 vs. i686

Interestingly AMD touts thier wickedly fast Athlon as being 7th generation
does gcc support i786?

~Jason