FHS compliance

pascal.adami at balcab.ch pascal.adami at balcab.ch
Tue Aug 8 23:40:51 PDT 2000

Zitiere John Phillips <lfs at linux.demon.co.uk>:

> Folks
>
> This seems clear:
>
> *  /usr/tmp (if present) should be a link
to /var/tmp.  At present it's
>    a separate directory.  If it's a link, the chmod
for /usr/tmp becomes
>    unnecessary.  FHS also says the link could be
dropped if not needed.
>    Is it still needed?

Isn't /usr/var for example the usual place for a MySQL
database?

> These are debatable points:
>
> *  /usr/include/asm should link
to /usr/src/linux/include/asm-<arch>
>    (currently it's just /usr/src/linux/asm in LFS).
Note that "make
>    config" does set asm -> asm-i386, which fixes
this.  This is compliant
>    only if "make config" is an essential part of the
kernel installation.
>    I'm not sure.

Not sure too. Probably better link it to i386 to be
sure that after make config the link is still present
if I understood you right.

>    in LFS).  For example, /usr/games is not
explicitly made, but is
>    created during the install (it's only got "banner"
in it).

We should create this one in the LFS book I think.

>    I think LFS compliance is probably OK if a listed
directory is missing
>    because there's nothing to put in it.

Okay, so why are we creating the /usr/share/nls
directory then? In my case, it's still empty, even I
installed some software after I finished with the book.
Is there anybody who has files in there?
In FHS 2.1 there is also a /usr/share/tmac
directory...so what to do?

1) Not creating the emtpy directories
2) Strictly to FHS 2.1 and also create the tmac thing

> *  The above applies to the missing /opt as well.
However, /opt is not
>    made during installation. (There are some other
examples.)

We should create this too, if your above answer is 2).

> *  /usr/var seems to be a contradiction in terms
unless it's a static
>    link into the /var hierarchy (/usr is shareable
read-only, /var is
>    variable data files, i.e. not read-only).
>
>    Note however, /usr/var *is* listed in FHS-2.1 if
you want to put /usr
>    and /var in the same partition, separate from the
root partition.  YUK!

> *  /usr/etc is not listed in FHS 2.1.

Well, but it's not a bad one I think. Some software
packages put their config files in there and for me
it's better to have them in there then in a
bloated /etc directory (for me, /etc should not contain
stuff like mail client config files and such things).

>    /usr isn't stand-alone - it can only work when
mounted on a root
>    partition with /etc available.  The only argument
for it seems to
>    be the "unnecessary" space taken up in a small
root partition by the
>    files in /etc for software in the /usr partition.
>
> *  /usr/local should either be empty or contain only
the listed directory
>    stubs:
>
>    - bin, games, include, lib, sbin, share, src.
>
>    Currenly it contains a lot more.  The arguments
above for and against
>    /usr/etc apply here.

See above, plus in the /var directory there are also
some missing directories. By the way, why is there
a /var/mail directory? I think /var/spool/mail is the
standard.

> --
> John Phillips           john at linux.demon.co.uk
> --
> Mail archive: http://www.pcrdallas.com/mail-
archives/lfs-discuss
> IRC access: server: irc.linuxfromscratch.org port:
6667 channel: #LFS
body of the message