FHS compliance

Craig M. Reece shade at jetcity.com
Wed Aug 9 05:44:08 PDT 2000

> -----Original Message----- From: owner-lfs-discuss at pcrdallas.com
> [mailto:owner-lfs-discuss at pcrdallas.com]On Behalf Of
> pascal.adami at balcab.ch Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2000 2:41 AM To:
> lfs-discuss at linuxfromscratch.org Subject: Re: FHS compliance
>

> Zitiere John Phillips <lfs at linux.demon.co.uk>:
>
> > Folks > > This seems clear: > > * /usr/tmp (if present) should be a
> link to /var/tmp.  At present it's > a separate directory.  If it's a
> link, the chmod for /usr/tmp becomes > unnecessary.  FHS also says the
> link could be dropped if not needed. > Is it still needed?
>
> Isn't /usr/var for example the usual place for a MySQL database?

Perhaps, but mySQL isn't part of the LFS philosophy (eek, I am putting
words in Gerard's mouth) so using it as a reason to be non-FHS compliant
isn't a good argument. At any rate, I agree with this point.

> > > These are debatable points: > > * /usr/include/asm should link to
> /usr/src/linux/include/asm-<arch> > (currently it's just
> /usr/src/linux/asm in LFS). Note that "make > config" does set asm ->
> asm-i386, which fixes this.  This is compliant > only if "make config"
> is an essential part of the kernel installation. > I'm not sure.
>
> Not sure too. Probably better link it to i386 to be sure that after
> make config the link is still present if I understood you right.

Yes, "make config" (or one of its variants) is a requirement for
configuring/building a kernel. So is "make dep".

> > in LFS).  For example, /usr/games is not explicitly made, but is >
> created during the install (it's only got "banner" in it).
>
> We should create this one in the LFS book I think.

Ditto.

> > I think LFS compliance is probably OK if a listed directory is
> missing > because there's nothing to put in it. >
>
> Okay, so why are we creating the /usr/share/nls directory then? In my
> case, it's still empty, even I installed some software after I
> finished with the book. Is there anybody who has files in there? In
> FHS 2.1 there is also a /usr/share/tmac directory...so what to do?
>
> 1) Not creating the emtpy directories 2) Strictly to FHS 2.1 and also
> create the tmac thing
>
> > * The above applies to the missing /opt as well. However, /opt is
> not > made during installation. (There are some other examples.)
>
> We should create this too, if your above answer is 2).

I think we should create the missing directories to be compliant (i.e.,
#2). Also, because not all software uses the correct insall options to
have these directories made (especially older, not-maintained stuff).

> > * /usr/var seems to be a contradiction in terms unless it's a static
> > link into the /var hierarchy (/usr is shareable read-only, /var is >
> variable data files, i.e. not read-only). > > Note however, /usr/var
> *is* listed in FHS-2.1 if you want to put /usr > and /var in the same
> partition, separate from the root partition.  YUK! > > * /usr/etc is
> not listed in FHS 2.1.
>
> Well, but it's not a bad one I think. Some software packages put their
> config files in there and for me it's better to have them in there
> then in a bloated /etc directory (for me, /etc should not contain
> stuff like mail client config files and such things).

This is one of those really debatable things :). Personally, I hate having
to look all over hell and creation to find config files. Having everything
from the base system installation in /etc is my preference and then I
install everything else in either /usr/local or /opt (I am going to be
using /opt going forward since this has the advantage of keeping configs
near the packages).

> > /usr isn't stand-alone - it can only work when mounted on a root >
> partition with /etc available.  The only argument for it seems to > be
> the "unnecessary" space taken up in a small root partition by the >
> files in /etc for software in the /usr partition. > > * /usr/local
> should either be empty or contain only the listed directory > stubs: >
> > - bin, games, include, lib, sbin, share, src. > > Currenly it
> contains a lot more.  The arguments above for and against > /usr/etc
> apply here.
>
> See above, plus in the /var directory there are also some missing
> directories. By the way, why is there a /var/mail directory? I think
> /var/spool/mail is the standard.

Yeah.