FHS compliance (/usr/share/nls)

padami at balcab.ch padami at balcab.ch
Wed Aug 9 06:29:36 PDT 2000

Okay, you're speaking about the locale dir and there I
have files too, but you didn't say what files you have
in nls. I still don't have any in there ;-)

Zitiere Erika Pacholleck <Pacholleck.E at gmx.de>:

> ( Mit, 09 Aug 2000 ) pascal.adami at balcab.ch <-- :
> > Zitiere John Phillips <lfs at linux.demon.co.uk>:
> > >-- SNIPPED --<
> > Okay, so why are we creating the /usr/share/nls
> > directory then? In my case, it's still empty, even I
> > installed some software after I finished with the
book.
> > Is there anybody who has files in there?
>
> yep.
>
> /usr/share/nls : this is what is normally installed as
> /usr/share/locale/<short country code>
> the contents of it are all those .(g)mo files which
> translate english messages into your native language.
>
> Note this (only not native english, enable-nls)
default installs:
> adjustment for currency and so
on: /usr/share/locale/de_AT (Austria)
> adjustment for currency and so
on: /usr/share/locale/de_CH (Swiss)
> adjustment for currency and so
on: /usr/share/locale/de_DE (Germany)
> --> we all have for example different currencies
> translation of messages: /usr/share/locale/de
> --> but we have one language (exept special dialects)
>
> so german-special adjustments would FHS be here:
> /usr/share/locale/de_DE/LC_<adjustment file>
> so german-translated messages for gcc would FHS be
this:
> /usr/share/nls/de/gcc.mo
>
> Erika
> --
> Mail archive: http://www.pcrdallas.com/mail-
archives/lfs-discuss
> IRC access: server: irc.linuxfromscratch.org port:
6667 channel: #LFS
body of the message