binutils compile error

Greg T Hill greghill at terranova.net
Wed Aug 9 19:38:04 PDT 2000

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> To see if you are really going low on memory do this:
> start compiling binutils and in a second terminal (either a VC (Virtual
> Console) or xterm or something similar) run this command:
>         watch -n 1 free

I read this and ran free out of curiosity.  It reports I have  64280k total
memory, however I have 128 megs ram installed and recognized by the BIOS.
I tried it on another machine also with 128 megs of ram and get the same
result.  My third box has  32 megs and it reports 29044k.  "man free" fails to
enlighten.  Can anyone  explain to me what this means?