Little thing to add to make install for glibc

Yann Kerhervé yk at cyberion.net
Thu Aug 10 14:24:15 PDT 2000

On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 08:43:50AM -0400, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> > I already evoked this issue two month ago, but Gerard, said it's
> > irrelevant in the book...
> > Nevertheless, I'm behind you ... I think it IS relevant since a lot of
> > people on this ML use locales.
>
> True, but i know of more people who don't. But that's besides the point.

hmm. I could be interesting to count :)
how many users on the (main) ML ?

> Also, LFS is about learning how to build your own system. Though you can
> follow the book's instructions by the letter and get a working system, I
> don't intend to write down every solution to every little problem
> somebody can have (as I have said a long time ago: if I start writing
> down one solution to a problem then where does it end. I'll have to
> write down solutions to other problems as well).
>
> So I draw the line here:
> If the solution can be found by simply reading the README and INSTALL
> files that come with most if not every single package, then it's up to
> you to just do your homework.
>
> If a solution can't be found in the documentation I'll most likely add
> it to the book, but I rather have that the person who fixed a problem
> writes a short email about it and it'll become an lfs-hint for the
> databas (which i'm working on again).
>
> That way the book can contain purely installation methods and some
> explanation what's going on (like why we execute a sed command before
> 'make' - those things have to be added to the book when the 2.5 dev.
> series start) and in the book I can refer to the LFS InfoSystem (or for
> now pcrdallas.com/docs/lfs-hints).

I'm ok with everything you said. But I think the problem is kinda
malicious. Indeed, There is no error at all when you compile glibc (as
far as I remember - it's quite old now). But other packages are broken
and you don't know where it comes from. That's annoying.

Since, the change is only one command, with one comment :

<compile line> # Use this if you want locale support

IMHO,  pros and cons have to be re-weight.

voilà
:-p

-Yk