m4 and autoconf

Panos Maheras arcana at hol.gr
Mon Aug 14 01:47:48 PDT 2000

On Mon, 14 Aug 2000 08:41:47 +0100 (BST), you wrote:

>FYI, I have now found out that this exact problem was recognized as
>a bug in m4 as early as 13 November 1998 (see the email of that date
>on the GNU bug-m4 mailing list from Joseph S. Myers).  It is on the
>maintainer's TO DO list at:
>
>   http://www.seindal.dk/rene/gnu/todo.htm
>
>However, don't hold your breath for the next stable release.
>
>The problem only happens if you compile m4 with glibc-2.1 and run it
>on a 2.0 kernel.  The old kernel does not support some of the new glibc
>functions and m4 makes a mistake when the kernel returns ENOSYS to say so.
>
>There was a patch posted on 10 Jan 2000 by Andreas Schwab which may help.
>I haven't tried it since the "static compile" work-around is effective.

The fact that this problem comes up on 2.0 kernel-based systems seems to me
serious enough to be included on the book. A warning or something (if we can't
find a patch to do the trick) that "m4 will not compile properly if your system
is based on a 2.0 kernel" and that "you should compile m4 statically before
chroot and dynamically after you reboot into the LFS system in that case".

Perhaps Gerard should consider including it in the book at least as a warning.

Panos Maheras (arcana at hol.gr).