Glibc compile problem..

Arthur Rinkel arthur at cal040041.student.utwente.nl
Mon Aug 14 04:08:08 PDT 2000

On Mon, 14 Aug 2000, Jr. wrote:

> cd /mnt/lfs/usr/src/glibc-build/nis && ar cruv libnss_compat_pic.a compat-grp.os compat-pwd.os compat-spwd.os compat-initgroups.os nisplus-parser.os
> /bin/sh: invalid character 45 in exportstr for full-config-sysdirs
> a - compat-grp.os
> a - compat-pwd.os
> a - compat-spwd.os
> a - compat-initgroups.os
> a - nisplus-parser.os
> ar: libnss_compat_pic.a: No space left on device
> make[2]: *** [/mnt/lfs/usr/src/glibc-build/nis/libnss_compat_pic.a] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/usr/src/glibc-2.1.3/nis'
> make[1]: *** [nis/others] Error 2
>
> I have not striped any debug symbol yet.  Will it help for me to now strip
> those symbols?  How can I allocate more space to my /mnt/lfs partition?
Run "make clean" in allready installed packages, move a large package like
'gcc'.
Striping the debug symbols is possible, but I don't know about the
consequences. I mean, if the symbols are used when compiling other
packages.

> I still have about 900mb left on my Linux hard drive.
That is your current Linux system, not LFS system?
>From the directories above, I guess you are building the lib on your LFS
system. What's the size of that filesystem? I don't know which platform
you're building the lib, but on my x86 system it took about 300MB just to
"make" the package. After that "make install" took another 85MB (without
docs). Don't know the exact sizes, but you'll need enough space on the
filesystem you're building and installing the lib.

Grtz, Arthur