Glibc compile problem..

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Aug 14 06:07:25 PDT 2000

> cd /mnt/lfs/usr/src/glibc-build/nis && ar cruv libnss_compat_pic.a compat-grp.os compat-pwd.os compat-spwd.os compat-initgroups.os nisplus-parser.os
> /bin/sh: invalid character 45 in exportstr for full-config-sysdirs

Please apply the glibc-patch the book mentions. You're getting the
invalid character 45 errors.

> I have not striped any debug symbol yet.  Will it help for me to now strip
> those symbols?  How can I allocate more space to my /mnt/lfs partition?  I still

Yes you can do that safely on the following directories:
	$LFS/bin
	$LFS/sbin
	$LFS/usr/bin
	$LFS/usr/sbin
	$LFS/lib
	$LFS/usr/lib

It should give you some more room, but depending on how far you are in
the glibc compilation, it might not give you enough extra room.

I'd suggest move the glibc-2.1.3 and glibc-build trees to your normal
linux system's partition and continue the build there where you do have
enough room:
	cd $LFS/usr/src
	mv glibc-2.1.3 glibc-build /usr/src
	ln -s /usr/src/glibc-build glibc-build
	ln -s /usr/src/glibc-2.1.3 glibc-2.1.3
	cd /usr/src/glibc-build
	make

After the make install, remove the $LFS/usr/src/glibc-2.1.3 and the
$LFS/usr/src/glibc-build symbolic links.

www.linuxfromscratch.org