chroot'ing into LFS doesn't work

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Aug 14 06:09:24 PDT 2000

> I'm in Chapter 5 and I cannot chroot into LFS. My /etc/group and
> /etc/passwd files look exactly like they're supposed, but they just do
> not work! My prompt looks like this:
>
> I have no name!@host:/#
>
> whoami produces the error "no user for UID 0". Anyone know whats wrong?
> I've been trying to figure this out for 2 days and am about to just
> reinstall Slack.

Looks like you have a 'passwd' file problem. Which book version are you
reading? If 2.3.7, did you type the command to create the
$LFS/etc/passwd file exactly as shown?

A colon in the wrong space, or a space at the end of a line where it's
not supposed to be could create problems.

Remove $LFS/etc/passwd and re-create it by running this command:
	echo "root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash" > $LFS/etc/passwd

www.linuxfromscratch.org