Can't test-run scripts / rebooting fails

Torsten Vollmann Torsten at Vollmann-Online.de
Mon Aug 14 13:47:58 PDT 2000

Hi.

Finally I'm through the whole 2.3.7-book  and due to restart in to my
new LFS.

But when I try to test-run my scripts I get the message "bash: ./rc: No
such file or directory" (for example) - but it's definitely there.
I think, it's about the permissions, but I've made every step acording
to the book and whoami tells me I am root!

ls -l shows me file permissions like this:

-rwxr-xr--  1 root  root      4674   Aug 12 19:47    rc
-rwxr-xr--  1 root  root        251   Aug 12 19:49    rcS

When I reboot into LFS, I get the following:

... (everything all right until now)
INIT: version 2.78 booting
INIT: /etc/inittab[2]: missing action field
INIT: cannot execute "/etc/init.d/rcS"
INIT: entering runlevel: 3
INIT: cannot execute "/etc/init.d/rc"

I have copied all scripts from the HTML-Book-Version so there could not
be an typing error (from my side)

Any help available?