Can't test-run scripts / rebooting fails

Lucas Nelson lucas at access.com.au
Mon Aug 14 15:41:43 PDT 2000

On Mon, Aug 14, 2000 at 10:47:58PM +0200, Torsten Vollmann wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Finally I'm through the whole 2.3.7-book  and due to restart in to my
> new LFS.
>
> But when I try to test-run my scripts I get the message "bash: ./rc: No
> such file or directory" (for example) - but it's definitely there.
> I think, it's about the permissions, but I've made every step acording
> to the book and whoami tells me I am root!
>
> ls -l shows me file permissions like this:
>
> -rwxr-xr--  1 root  root      4674   Aug 12 19:47    rc
> -rwxr-xr--  1 root  root        251   Aug 12 19:49    rcS
>

> When I reboot into LFS, I get the following:
>
> ... (everything all right until now)
> INIT: version 2.78 booting
> INIT: /etc/inittab[2]: missing action field
> INIT: cannot execute "/etc/init.d/rcS"
> INIT: entering runlevel: 3
> INIT: cannot execute "/etc/init.d/rc"
>
> I have copied all scripts from the HTML-Book-Version so there could not
> be an typing error (from my side)
>
> Any help available?

I thought this had been fixed, but have a look at the first line of your
rc script. It probably says something like:

#!/bin/sh

Now, do an "ldd /bin/sh", mine comes back with:

ln:~$ ldd /bin/sh
libncurses.so.5 => /lib/libncurses.so.5 (0x4001c000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x4005f000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x40063000)

Notice how all the dependencies are satisfied by files in "/lib". It is
very important, if your /bin/sh is dynamically linked, to have the /bin
and /lib directories on the root partition. Are they? Does your /bin/sh
have any dependencies outside the root partition?

This can be a problem because at the time your rc script is executed, the
only thing mounted is the root partition, usually in read-only mode
(though this does depend on your lilo configuration :)). If the kernel (?)
cannot start the program specified after the "#!", it deems the file
'non-executable'. At least, that's my understanding.

That would be my guess as to your problem, though the "INIT:
/etc/inittab[2]: missing action field" line also concerns me. Does anyone
know whether this could be an issue? Make sure your /etc/inittab file
is correct as per the book.

Lucas.