Can't test-run scripts / rebooting fails

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Aug 14 18:55:56 PDT 2000

> When I reboot into LFS, I get the following:
>
> ... (everything all right until now)
> INIT: version 2.78 booting
> INIT: /etc/inittab[2]: missing action field
> INIT: cannot execute "/etc/init.d/rcS"
> INIT: entering runlevel: 3
> INIT: cannot execute "/etc/init.d/rc"

Hmm.
enter chroot
execute this:
cd /etc/init.d
mv rc rc2
create a new rc in your editor and put these lines in it:

#!/bin/sh
#begin
echo "This is a test"
#End

chmod 75 rc

Reboot, does it echo the line to your screen?

before you reboot, execute it yourself:
	/etc/init.d/rc

What kernel does your LFS system start with? 2.2.16 I assume?

www.linuxfromscratch.org