Reboot problem

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Aug 15 10:33:43 PDT 2000

> The system is going down for reboot NOW !!
> INIT: Switching to runlevel: 6
> INIT: Sending processes the TERM signal
> INIT: Sending processes the KILL signal
> Give root password for maintenance
> (or type Control-D for normal startup):
>
> The rc6.d directory exists, the links are good.. do any of you have any
> idea why this might be happening?

What book are you reading? I'm not sure if I fixed such a bug from 2.3.7
(I know I've fixed a similar bug before).

Edit your /etc/init.d/rc file and put an echo as the first line saying:
echo "RC script executed..."

and put a few more echo's here and there to figure out if the file is
executed at all and what certain variables contain at times like the
runlevel and previous variables. Also, have it echo a line or two to
display the contents of the $i variable (which should contain all files
in /etc/rc6.d/ when you switch to runlevel 6).

www.linuxfromscratch.org