Adding inetutils to LFS? (was Re: Reboot problem)

Keith Shapiro kshapiro at lexmark.com
Wed Aug 16 04:42:04 PDT 2000

I asked:
> Quick question:  do you intend to add support for basic utilities to
> get a machine up and running on a network (i.e. the inetutils package)?

To which Gerard replied:
>Depends. What does inetutils contain?

inetutils contains:

telnet, ftp, rsh, rcp, rlogin, tftp, syslog, talk
inetd, ftpd, rshd, rlogind, telnetd, uucpd, rexecd, syslogd, tftpd, talkd

Simon Perreault then said:
>My advice: LFS is about making a base system. inetutils isn't needed by
>the casual Linux user (I, for one, don't use them). So they should not
>be a part of LFS. This kind of add-ons belong to the LFS-Hints
>(www.pcrdallas.com/docs/lfs-hints).

While this would make sense for a standalone linux user, I think that
clients like telnet and ftp are vital for a machine and that it's
crippled without them.

After getting the LFS system up initially, I needed to connect to some
other machines on the network and transfer some files only to find out
I had no ability to actually connect to the other machines.

While I realize that for some people inetd is overkill, I think it would
be nice to have a LFS system that not only initializes the eth0 interface,
but also puts up a telnet daemon or ftp daemon so that authorized users
can get to their machine remotely.

Then again, perhaps this warrants a separate section in the book for
installing and configuring a machine that is actually available on the
network.  Obviously this is a lot of work and not something I would even
ask for.

Maybe what is needed is a simple note pointing out some additional
places to go to acheive a networkable box:  inetutils, sendmail/exim/
postfix/procmail, pine/elm/mail.

Keith S.

P.S.  As an aside, does anyone know where I can find source for the
'which' program?