gain some space in Man pages

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Aug 16 04:50:35 PDT 2000

> Hi all,
> here is it my little contrib to "lfs system(s)".
> when i 'm looking for make some free space on my hd, i remenber that the man
> pages are usually gziped...
> but i don't remenber have seen this in the lfs book...
> it's possible to make 'ala mano" this opération but it's very fastidious
> work..
> then i had write a litlle shell script to do that....
> take it if you want...
> enjoy it..

There's actually a much easier way:

#!/bin/sh
toplevel=/usr/share/man/man

for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
do
	cd $toplevel$i
	gzip *
done

If the man utility sees a gzip'ed file it executes a gunzip -c (or gzip
-c same thing) and pipes the output to groff and less to format it like
usual.

www.linuxfromscratch.org