Adding inetutils to LFS? (was Re: Reboot problem)

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Aug 16 05:10:55 PDT 2000

> inetutils contains:
>
> telnet, ftp, rsh, rcp, rlogin, tftp, syslog, talk
> inetd, ftpd, rshd, rlogind, telnetd, uucpd, rexecd, syslogd, tftpd, talkd

Or you can go to the site you got netkit-base from and download the
dedicated packages: netkit-telnet, netkit-ftp, etc.

> While this would make sense for a standalone linux user, I think that
> clients like telnet and ftp are vital for a machine and that it's
> crippled without them.

It's my opinion that a system is crippled when telnet is present. You
really don't want to run that security risc. You really want to use ssh.

> While I realize that for some people inetd is overkill, I think it would
> be nice to have a LFS system that not only initializes the eth0 interface,
> but also puts up a telnet daemon or ftp daemon so that authorized users
> can get to their machine remotely.

No need for inetd as most apps can run stand alone as well which most
people prefer (and most systems nowadays don't have to concider the
small amount of resources you save by using inetd - it takes a bit more
in resources but you get a faster response time when running standalone
which is better for me)

> Then again, perhaps this warrants a separate section in the book for
> installing and configuring a machine that is actually available on the
> network.  Obviously this is a lot of work and not something I would even
> ask for.
>
> Maybe what is needed is a simple note pointing out some additional
> places to go to acheive a networkable box:  inetutils, sendmail/exim/
> postfix/procmail, pine/elm/mail.
> Keith S.

Those things fit better in what we call lfs-hints -
www.pcrdallas.com/docs/lfs-hints

> P.S.  As an aside, does anyone know where I can find source for the
> 'which' program?

#!/bin/sh
# start which
type $1
# end which

that's basically the same. Unless you want to use some extra features,
but even type can emulate those. Read the bash man page for more details
on the 'type' built-in command.

www.linuxfromscratch.org