Runlevel definition

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Aug 16 08:50:15 PDT 2000

> Could we please define the names of the runlevels in the book, so that
> everyone knows, that S is not singleuser? 8-)
>
> So we have a description like
>
> S	sysinit
> 1	single user
> 2
> 3
> 4
> 5
> 6	reboot
> 0	halt

actually if you do a 'telinit S' it will go to single user as well (or
at least that's what the 2.4 version is going to fix. 2.3.7 doesn't do
it properly in all circumstances yet).

A line from 2.3.7/2.4's inittab:
	su:S1:respawn:/sbin/sulogin

Not sure why I didn't include 's' in it. I'll have to re-test this setup
and see what happens.

www.linuxfromscratch.org