A couple of notes about latest LFS

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Aug 18 05:13:03 PDT 2000

> I've noticed a couple of things during my latest LFS build. Hopefully I got
> these right.  I have to reboot to Red Hat for my email at the moment.
>
> 1. Need to add --enable-shared to configure line for binutils.

What happens when you don't pass it. My ld, as and such programs are
dynamically linked. Or are certain libraries compiled statically)

> 2. Even then libiberty still get only gets compiled static.
>
> 3. I believe make -e should still be required for binutils and bzip2 to get
> optimizations.

I'd like to use -e as less as possible. It's needed for binutils to get
a static build, but otherwise I'd like to stay away from it. A
non-optimized bzip2 isn't a disaster. Honestly, how often would you run
bzip2 to actually make it count.

> 4. Using the book, you don't get man pages for diff.  (I think there are a few
> others but I inadvertently killed my man directory on my LFS system, tar jumps
> to mind also but I'm not sure.)

That's because those packages don't have man-pages. Those packages come
with info pages. The reason that RedHat and other distro's do have man
pages for diff, tar, etc. is because they probably have written those
themselves.

> 5. I saw someone mention a packaging system, I prefer to use pkgtool from
> Slackware.  Very simple, just a couple of shell scripts.  Seems to fit nicely
> with the LFS philosophy.  It's a little work but very flexible.

Or use rpm. Or deb. I'm leaving that open to the user so he can
implement whatever he or she is comfortable with.

www.linuxfromscratch.org