A couple of notes about latest LFS

atark atark at thepipeline.net
Fri Aug 18 10:23:10 PDT 2000

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> > I've noticed a couple of things during my latest LFS build. Hopefully I got
> > these right.  I have to reboot to Red Hat for my email at the moment.
> >
> > 1. Need to add --enable-shared to configure line for binutils.
>
> What happens when you don't pass it. My ld, as and such programs are
> dynamically linked. Or are certain libraries compiled statically)

/usr/lib (binutils only) without enable shared:

libbfd.a
libbfd.la
libiberty.a
libopcodes.a
libopcodes.la

/usr/lib (binutils only) with --enable-shared:

libbfd-2.10.so
libbfd.a
libbfd.la
libbfd.so -> libbfd-2.10.so
libiberty.a
libopcodes-2.10.so
libopcodes.a
libopcodes.la
libopcodes.so -> libopcodes-2.10.so

I stil haven't figured out why libiberty won't compile shared.  From glancing
over the configure scripts it --enable-shared should work.  Then again RedHat
only gives you a static version, but we're better than that right?

> > 2. Even then libiberty still get only gets compiled static.
> >
> > 3. I believe make -e should still be required for binutils and bzip2 to get
> > optimizations.
>
> I'd like to use -e as less as possible. It's needed for binutils to get
> a static build, but otherwise I'd like to stay away from it. A
> non-optimized bzip2 isn't a disaster. Honestly, how often would you run
> bzip2 to actually make it count.

That make sense, I was just looking at consistency.

> > 4. Using the book, you don't get man pages for diff.  (I think there are a few
> > others but I inadvertently killed my man directory on my LFS system, tar jumps
> > to mind also but I'm not sure.)
>
> That's because those packages don't have man-pages. Those packages come
> with info pages. The reason that RedHat and other distro's do have man
> pages for diff, tar, etc. is because they probably have written those
> themselves.

True, but we are also installing parts of the man-pages package.  Personally, I
prefer to have a complete set of man pages.

> > 5. I saw someone mention a packaging system, I prefer to use pkgtool from
> > Slackware.  Very simple, just a couple of shell scripts.  Seems to fit nicely
> > with the LFS philosophy.  It's a little work but very flexible.
>
> Or use rpm. Or deb. I'm leaving that open to the user so he can
> implement whatever he or she is comfortable with.

Yes and that's the way it should be.  Alot of people overlook pkgtool as a
possibility, I just wanted to mention it, especially because of it's simplicity.

--Andy