REQ.: Ideas for LFS advocacy

Lucas Nelson lucas at access.com.au
Sun Aug 20 18:30:41 PDT 2000

On Sun, Aug 20, 2000 at 09:04:13PM -0400, Jason Gurtz wrote:
> To All,
>
> 	Here's somthing I don't see discussed to much:  What to tell the person who
> says, "Why should I go to the trouble, instead of just installing RH, Deb,
> Slak, etc..."?  I've thought of a few reasons myself:  Learn somthing,
> performance, "exactly how you want it", stability, ease of cutomization.
> I'm sure there's other reasons too, in a more detailed sense.  I also think
> it might be good to come up with an LFS-Advocacy-mini-HOWTO, which I would
> be willing to write, givin some input.  Not coincedentaly I schedualed
> myself to make a presentation on LFS at my local Linux users group at the
> september meeting.  I know there's interest in the group (people have
> mentioned it some) but maybe they've been reluctent to give it a go.
>
> Thoughts?, Ideas?
>
> ~Jason

Personally, the learning aspect of it has been the biggest reason for me.
I have been using linux on and off since around 1993, and have been around
Solaris since 1993. But, it was not until going through the exercise of
creating an LFS system that I _truly_ understood how things like "init"
and shadow password really worked.

IMHO, if you aren't interested in learning how linux works, LFS is not
really for you. The other reasons you mention are already handled by one
distro, or another.

Lucas.