REQ.: Ideas for LFS advocacy

highos at mickey.bcpub.com highos at mickey.bcpub.com
Sun Aug 20 19:17:15 PDT 2000

Yo,

On Mon, Aug 21, 2000 at 11:30:41AM +1000, Lucas Nelson wrote:
> Personally, the learning aspect of it has been the biggest reason for me.
> I have been using linux on and off since around 1993, and have been around
> Solaris since 1993. But, it was not until going through the exercise of
> creating an LFS system that I _truly_ understood how things like "init"
> and shadow password really worked.

Of course, the learning aspect of LFS is amazing, but after a while (from what
i've seen) that usually changes.

> IMHO, if you aren't interested in learning how linux works, LFS is not
> really for you. The other reasons you mention are already handled by one
> distro, or another.

Easy of use... once you _understand_ how it works, no other distro does
that, Customization is the main reason for myself now.

I've spoken to many ppl about LFS and most always ask me, "Why?", my
answer is almost always, "Why Not?"

GNU/Linux is about Choice, LFS gives the user/admin total control if one wants
it... or little too none with tools such as linuxconf (bleck), Olympus(not for
a while), Webmin, etc...

-