REQ.: Ideas for LFS advocacy

Peter Morris morris at math.psu.edu
Tue Aug 22 08:39:23 PDT 2000

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Jason Gurtz wrote:

> I find it does give me a sense of almost being part of the "glory days" of
> linux before it was mainstream and all.  Hopefully, with ALFS, the idea will
> be extended even further!  Which brings up another question.  How did they
> do it at first,  were you required to have, say, a SCO UNIX system or other
> PC-type *NIX in order to build pre 1.0 Linux?
>
> ~Jason

You had to have Minix to boot the earliest versions of Linux. I'm not sure
when that became unnecessary but before 1.0, I think. For those who don't
know, minix was an open-source unix for PCs. It wasn't free in any other
sense but was cheap. It was written mostly by Andrew Tanenbaum for
educational purposes. The first discussions of Linux were on the minix
mailing list. There were some very funny (in retrospect) attacks by
Tanenbaum on the idea that a bunch of hackers could cooperatively write an
operating system.
I still have minix 1.2 on 9 5.25 inch diskettes. They have probably
bit-rotted into uselessness.