REQ.: Ideas for LFS advocacy

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Aug 22 11:49:03 PDT 2000

> Is certification worthwhile?  Maybe.  A lot of companies only see the degrees and

A certification is nice, but is it worth for Linux? I don't know. I've
done and completed a brainbench examination and declared a "Certified
Linux Administrator" (you can view my public transcript at
www.brainbench.com using transcript ID: 673347). According to them my
weakest Linux knowledge lies in the "Installing & setting up Linux"
area. Because I don't know anything about lpr (I use pdq instead - a far
more advanced printing tool) I can't setup Linux. Because I also don't
know much about Samba I'm real bad in installing and setting up Linux.
The fact that I'm (according to them) above average in
installing/setting up dns, http, smtp, ftp and more doesn't matter. I
can't work with lpr, i'm not good in setting up an entire linux distro.
I wasn't happy with that statement. Oh well, cert's, imo, don't tell
much about your knowledge. They are never thorough enough to give a
clear picture. You might know a lot about 100 programs and not so much
about 1 program (or you use a differnet program to do the same. Think
postfix vs. sendmail, pdq vs. lpr, proftpd vs. wu-ftpd, etc ,etc) you
could easily fail the test. That makes me wonder how reliable a
certification exactly is.

www.linuxfromscratch.org