I think we're missing something...

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Aug 23 05:55:54 PDT 2000

> As I have installed LFS countless times...  I've noticed that the LFS book is missing something alomst every distribution has...  CRON?!
>
> I've run searches on the internet, and all I can find are versions of this program dated to 1995 (outdated?)..
>
> Personally I have found this program usefull for automated administrative tasks..  I am very surprized that there is no mention of this awsome little prog in the LFS book, nor in the Mailing list...
>
> Is there a better version that I am overlooking?  Or am I just being a ignorant bastard?

We have discussed it on this list before and decided it's not going to
be part of the book. You can browse the mailinglist for discussions on
cron if you wish, or if you can't find it I can forward the threads
to your personally.

ls cron i have is called cron-3.0pl1 - not sure how old it is, but mine
is pretty old. You can always try ftp.debian.org and get the cron
tarball (the source is called packagename_orig.tar.gz)

www.linuxfromscratch.org