I think we're missing something...

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Aug 23 06:30:44 PDT 2000

> Anyhow, I feel it's necessary, I use it for lots of log-rolling,
> backing-up, time-syncing and so on.
>
> I'd vote for it.

Don't get me wrong, I can't live without cron either. I need to rotate
my logs daily else they will grow out of bounds without no time. But I
have to set strict, very strict guidelines for what makes it in the book
and what not. Just try to image if I let cron in, then others will slip
in too. Then soon after the optional stuff from 2.2 is back. Then in
some dev. version it'll be stripped again and we start from square one.
Yes, it will ensure me work to do on LFS for the next year or so, but I
know that everybody understands that there are better ways for me to
keep busy. ALFS and LFS InfoSystem as the best ways for these things.
Cron can easily be added to your ALFS profile and it can be added to the
LFS InfoSystem, category "Extra software" or something like that.

www.linuxfromscratch.org