I think we're missing something...

David D.W. Downey david.downey at codecastle.com
Wed Aug 23 09:39:20 PDT 2000

Uhh, LFS is a book on how to ROLL YOUR OWN LINUX. It's not meant to be a
complete dissertation on what should be lock stock and barrel in every
distribution out there. Why this thread is going so long, I'm not sure
of. But the overall point is that Gerard has shown an excellent starting
point for folks to get their own ideas. You want cron? Add cron. You want
pinfo (colored and hylinked info) then add pinfo. You want... then ADD ...

Seems simple enough for me. If he was giving out the blueprints for making
just another distrib, he'd call it the LINUX FROM SCRATCH - How to
recreate existing distributions. with the sub title being How to knit pick
over implementation details.

> Yo,
>
> On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 04:49:27AM -0800, Beau Bellamy wrote:
> > As I have installed LFS countless times...  I've noticed that the LFS book is missing something alomst every distribution has...  CRON?!
>
> I personally feel LFS doesn't need it, that way LFS stays flexible enough for
> everything, once the LFS InfoSystem us up and running that will all change...
>
> > Is there a better version that I am overlooking?  Or am I just being a ignorant bastard?
>
> Hrm... i haven't looked myself (not need to yet :), but if i can't find it from
> Freshmeat/Google then i usually take a look at Debian's source packages, etc.
>
> -

David D.W. Downey          Red Hat Certified Engineer
Creator/Project Lead       KiXO Linux - http://www.KiXO.org
HAGISS Project Leader      http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/HAGISS/
Member LPI, OSWG           http://www.lpi.org & http://www.oswg.org
QIXO, Inc.                 Senior Linux Systems Administrator
ddowney at QIXO.com           http://www.QIXO.com